Monday, March 23, 2009

Nizza

40. Nizza
630 9th Ave between 44th and 45th



Scrolling through the list of options on Seamlessweb while at work on a Friday night, I noticed that TONY list restaurant Nizza offered deliveries through corporate accounts. Not about to pass up an opportunity to sample an item from the list for free, I placed an order for the sage socca ($8) which the restaurant describes as a “crispy chickpea pancake cooked in the brick oven with sage, onions, and pecorino.” The pancake arrived in a pizza box and was about 10” in diameter, that’s one sizable pancake. While not as crispy as I would have liked (it was delivery after all), the sage and pecorino made for a satisfying appetizer that is big enough to share. The pancake itself was a little dry, and I could have gone for more pecorino and onions but the pancake makes for a pretty good appetizer to nosh on while sitting at the bar.

I also ordered the broccoli bruschetta with avocado and walnuts ($7.25) which I took two bites of and threw out (again, hopefully this is because of the delivery). The ingredients just didn’t work together and it was pretty messy to eat. The mushroom & fontina crochette ($5.50), however, was probably my favorite appetizer that I ordered from Nizza. Small, one-bite fried spheres of cheese, rosemary and mushrooms were flavorful and gooey. The entrĂ©e selections are interesting enough with grilled tuna, pork scallopine and lamb shank to make me want to order a whole meal, but if I’m looking for a place to have a glass of wine and an appetizer before a Broadway show, I would definitely keep Nizza in mind.

Sage Socca Part 1:


Sage Socca Part 2:


Mushroom & Fontina Crochette:

No comments:

Post a Comment