Monday, May 4, 2009

Terroir

51. Terroir
413 E 12th Street

I made a quick stop at Terroir, fresh off its Time Out New York award for Best New Wine Bar, for my first taste of the back half of the TONY list. It’s fitting that I would want to make it there as soon as possible; the picture of the lamb sausages from the 100 best printout have been staring at me in the face for the last few months and now I can finally check them off the list.

With a happy hour that runs from 5-6pm and offers $6 glasses of wine or a free glass of ultra-dry sherry, I made sure to go for my free glass of sherry (nothing like a sharply dry beverage for an after-work escape). Drink I hand, I flipped through the extensive wine list while waiting for my order to be ready and chatted briefly with the staff about the award ceremony. The lamb sausage ($7) is wrapped in sage leaves and fried, creating a crispy shell. Fatty, salty, and crunchy, it makes for a great bar snack that is perfect for sharing. I think what could take this dish to the next level would be some kind of spicy dipping sauce like a mustard or a jalapeƱo mayo just to balance out the flavors…


No comments:

Post a Comment